It’s not hard to find diet programs available today. Just by searching the web you will find more diet programs than you knew existed. What is harder is finding the right diet plan for you. Obviously, you want to find a diet plan that’s good for you, will help you lose weight and won’t harm your body in any way. Sometimes it feels like finding the best diet is like finding a needle in a hay stack. Regardless of which weight loss program you chose, there are some basics of dieting that always remain the same. Not following them means you will never be able to lose weight and keep it off. In this article, I will list the five basics of effective weight loss.
1. One of the keys to weight loss is metabolism. Your body metabolic rate is what determines how much weight you will be able to lose. High metabolic rate means you can lose a lot of weight even while at rest. Low metabolic rate and you will have a hard time until you find ways to increase it. One popular way of speeding up your metabolism is by using weight loss pills.
2. Make exercise a regular part of your schedule. Just dieting alone will make your weight loss so much slower. It’s so much harder to increase your metabolism when you stay motionless all day watching TV. Whatever your exercise program get into the habit and make it a regular schedule. Start off slow at first so you don’t feel defeated by soreness. You can gradually increase your activity and you’ll be proud of your progress.
3. Forget the phrase “crash diet” unless you like to crash. Getting back into bathing suit shape is the goal here but don’t try to do it in a short time. One or two pounds a week should be your goal. Any more than that and you’ll find yourself feeling tired, cranky and missing out on needed vitamins. A program that’s too harsh leads to failure.
4. Concentrate on the low fat foods only. Weight loss experts stress this point and there are many good reasons. You can eat just a small amount of fatty junk food before you hit your calorie limit and you’ll still feel hungry. Why make it harder on yourself? Eat more low fat food and feel fuller sooner.
5. Know that hereditary obesity may make your task harder. If you look around you and see that everyone in your family tends to be overweight, there’s a chance that genetic factors may be in play. This won’t make it impossible for you to lose weight but expecting to be ultra slim may not be a realistic goal.
People who tell you that weight loss is easy are probably not being honest with you. Staying with it for the long term is what usually discourages people and prevents them from achieving their goals. Finding the right diet plan and setting attainable goals can make all the difference in winning the weight loss game.