Dr. Pierre Dukan invented the whole new diet. This diet is well known “Dukan diet”.
Dukan diet basic principles are described in this article
Dr. Dukan says that our size is determined by the number of fat cells (adipocytes). We are born with this cells. The more fat cells we have, there is greater possibility of being overweight. Unfortunately, women have more fat cells than men.
As said Dr. Pierre Dukan, the poor eating habits trigger excess weight gain. In this process, fat cells (adipocytes), increase the volume. Fat cells volume must be under control. If fat cells continue to grow, they come into a state of hypertrophy and lose their elasticity. At this critical moment, if a person continue to live unhealthy, each adipocyte will be divided into new cells and increase body weight. It is difficult to lose weight because the new cells will never become one.
By working with thousands of patients, Dr. Dukan believes that the critical point occurs when the body mass index exceeds 28, which makes weight control and weight loss almost impossible. After 10 years of practice in France, the Dukan diet has proven effective in obese individuals, and those who want to solve only a small excess pounds, also.
In this article we will explain four stages of Dukan diet. There are:
- Attack phase
- Cruise phase
- Consolidation phase
- Stabilization phase
Look at some general rules of every stage.
During the attack phase (also known as (solely protein phase) one should not consume anything that is not listed here:
- Low fat beef, veal or rabbit. Do not eat pork or lamb. Eat meat grilled or lightly cooked without oil or fat.
- Chicken and turkey. Remove skin, and avoid eating wings because it contain too much fat and cholesterol.
- Ham without bacon, or ham with small amount of fat (bacon). The best solution is chicken or turkey sausage or salami with added proteins.
- All fish is permitted, fresh, frozen or canned (but not in oil or sauce that contains fat), as well as other seafood such as shellfish.
- Up to two eggs a day. Cooked eggs are recommended. Consume 3-4 egg yolks per week if you have high cholesterol, but whites can be eaten without restriction.
- Low fat dairy products like yogurt, cottage cheese and skim milk.
- Natural or artificial sweeteners such as Stevia, vinegar, spices, garlic, onions, sugar-free chewing gum are also allowed.
Additional rules – Drink 1.5 liters of water a day to feel a sieve. Tea and coffee are allowed but no sugar. Consume one and a half teaspoon of oat flakes or oat bran daily, which also helps the feeling of satiety and gives energy. Walk fast for 20 minutes a day (this is mandatory). Avoid oil, fat and butter.
Changes phase include rotation of two day types. The days with proteins only and proteins/vegetables days. On proteins/vegetables days, proteins can be consumed with vegetables. Vegetables can be consumed in unlimited quantities.
Additional rules – Proteins and protein/vegetables days can be changed daily, or one can take five days of eating only proteins and five proteins with vegetables days.
Increase your intake of oat bran to 2 teaspoons. Increase physical activity for 30 minutes of brisk walking a day. Continue to drink 1.5 liters of water a day.
Cruise Phase Rhythms
- 5 proteins days then 5 proteins & vegetables days – The original rhythm alternating every five days.
- 1 proteins days then 1 proteins & vegetables days – Similar effects to previous rhythms. Dr. Dukan endorsed.
- 2 proteins days then 5 proteins & vegetables days – For older and weaker people. Try this rhythm if you have little weight to lose. The weight loss is slower.
A typical day with protein and vegetables
Breakfast: Coffee or tea, or two small low-fat yogurt or 225 grams of cheese or a piece of turkey, chicken, lean ham and a boiled egg.
Snack: One low fat yogurt or 115 grams of fresh cheese.
Lunch: Mushrooms with vegetables, tuna, chicken, turkey by choice.
Snack: Oatmeal pancakes with a piece of ham or smoked salmon.
Dinner: Vegetable soup, beef skewers with vegetables
More to come…
Check our UN diet page.